How does Permanent Residence Work?

Fill out the Free Online Assessment form and within one business day we will follow up with you to schedule your immigration consultation.

Start Your Assessment

Every year, thousands of people live the dream- of becoming permanent residents of Canada. We at EEP can help you realize this dream. A Permanent Residence Card will allow its holders to live, work and study in Canada on a permanent basis.

Before you apply for one, however, it is important to determine which immigration stream is best suited for you. One can submit the application for one’s spouse when applying through this stream.

Once a successful application has been lodged, an applicant who has been granted permanent residence may be eligible to move with his or her spouse along with dependents to Canada.

Getting a Permanent Resident Card:

As a permanent resident cardholder, one needs to be able to furnish it anytime while entering Canada. You will need to provide a Canadian mailing address via mail or via an online application tool within 180 days of entering into Canada and the new card will be sent to you. Failure to do this within the 180 day period results in a $50 processing fee for a new card.

You are eligible for a new card, if:

  • Your card is lost
  • Your card is stolen
  • You have legally changed your name
  • Your card has expired or will expire in the next nine months

The application process includes getting copies of your passport and supplying a photo for the card. Next, pay your application fees online and submit your application for processing. The processing times will vary based on the time of year you are applying.

Options for Permanent Residence in Canada:

  • Canadian Spousal Sponsorship
  • Canadian Family Sponsorship
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Canadian Experienced Class
  • Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds
  • Canadian Business and Investor Immigration
  • Provincial Nominee Programs

Everything you wanted to know about PRs in Canada:

The first step towards a Permanent Residence Card in Canada is choosing the right immigration professional to guide you. Ensure that the professional you choose has the necessary experience needed to successfully process a Permanent Residence application.

Very often Permanent Residence visas are refused due to a lack of the right questions being addressed. Here are some very important questions you want to ask any person you are planning on hiring to help you with your Permanent Residence visa application.

  • Which category best fits my application for Permanent Residence?
  • Under the skilled worker programs, am I required to have a job offer in order to immigrate to Canada?
  • What kind of supporting documentation will help strengthen my case for permanent residence after a category has been determined?
  • What is required for my family to immigrate to Canada?

Contacting EEP for assessment: Why is this important?

The lawyers at EEP provide legal representation tailored to your individual situation. Our expertise focuses on immigration and visa programs for Canada and the United States.

Partnering with our award-winning immigration team greatly increases the likelihood of achieving your specific immigration or visa goals. Immigration is a complex process that requires strong legal strategy, precise paperwork, and attention to detail. This reduces the risk of wasted time, money, or permanent rejection.

Contact us: Start your immigration application today!

Begin with our one-minute online assessment form or call us at +1 (431) 264-0786.

We have a dedicated team of licensed professionals standing by, ready to answer your immigration and visa questions. Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer over the phone, on Skype, or in person at our Winnipeg office.